CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Soccer 2012

This past Spring I agreed to coach Big H is soccer again. I was excited to have 3 boys from my team last year, because they had been taught and knew "my" coaching style. I found out I had 14 kids on the team and in U8 you only play 7 kids at a time, and was not quite sure what to think about that...And to add to all of my optimism we had a Goalie this year! WHO wants to be Goalie??? Well, thank goodness some kids wanted to give it a shot. To be honest after the first practice I went home and told Derek I was not sure I would be able to, or even wanted to coach this year.  I will just say the first practice was an interesting one.

After the first game I really wanted to ask another parent if they wanted to coach, because I was just not sure I was right for this group of kids.  I was just not sure if I would be able to teach these kids what I would want them to learn, and if I did, IF they would be receptive. Now I know you are probably thinking oh come Jen, they are only 7 & 8 year olds....take it easy or chill a little.  But I guess I just had high expectations!
 I will admit I have been known to run down the sideline as we move the ball down field.... when it comes to coaching I am a "PACER" I cannot just sit down or stand on the sidelines, and the parents and players learn early on to keep the sideline clear for me to pace! haha I also have a tendency to "get into" the game, for example I was so excited that we were about to score, I stood on the sideline and kicked an "imaginary" ball with the player as he was getting ready to shoot, well not the wisest thing I have ever done......because my flip flop broke and went flying!! haha Needless to say I coached the rest of the year barefoot. So I can be a little animated also! Not Bobby Knight animated, just "into" the game :) lol

Can you say "GOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!" (#21 Big H)
 



Needless to say we started the season out 1-4.  I was a little flustered and wondered if they were catching "my way" of playing. I just saw SO much potential with this group of kids. Well, they worked hard every practice.  And I can happily say I think it paid off! We ended the season 6-4! Way to go LIGHTNING! I can honestly say they totally surpassed my expectations, and I look forward to hopefully coaching the same group of boys, again sometime.






Big H was excited and had his uniform set out the morning of his first game!

Lil H enjoyed looking like he was part of the team too!

Big H has such an AMAZING fan club!  Thanks for coming and cheering guys! (Adri is not picture)

Way to go H! :)

2 comments:

Cory & Rebeca

so fun! And you are an amazing mom to step up and be willing to be coach (not to mention you have it in your blood hehe). Sophie is counting down the days til fall because she FINALLY gets to play soccer this year.

Jen

Good luck to Sophie! Are you going to coach? You should, it really is fun! :)

Post a Comment